Massage treatments have a healing and restorative effect. An important element of Ayurvedic medicine is massage. Since ancient times, Indian massage has been used for medicinal purposes by doctors of many nations of the world. It relieves stress, restores strength and has a general healing effect on the human body, in fact – prolongs youth.
- The essence and purpose of Ayurveda massage
- What is useful massage
- Types of massage in Ayurveda
- What oils are used
- Execution technique
- Self massage technique
- How to do Ayurvedic massage for a child
- Useful and important points
- Estimated Cost of Procedures
- Video about Ayurvedic massage, its techniques and effects on the body
The essence and purpose of Ayurveda massage
Ayurvedic massage is one of the main elements of Ayurveda. The word “Ayur” is translated as “Life”, and the second part of the word “Verda” is “science”. Thanks to its healing properties, Ayurvedic massage has become widespread throughout the world.
Ayurverde treatment is not aimed at curing the disease and relieving symptoms, but at maintaining the health and youth of the human body.
According to the ancient Indian teachings of Ayurverda, the human body and its mind are one. And in order to be physically and mentally healthy, a person needs to achieve harmony and balance. And therefore, the main purpose of Ayurverd massage is to restore balance and harmony.
What is useful massage
Ayurvedic massage is useful not only for the physical, but also for the mental health of a person, the normalization of the psycho-emotional state.
Massage procedures performed according to ancient Indian technology contribute to:
- Normalize blood circulation.
- Strengthen human defense systems.
- Normalization of the respiratory process
- Prevent digestive problems.
- Disposal of salts and toxins accumulated in the body.
- Removing the symptoms of many diseases (migraine, neurosis, osteochondrosis).
- Get rid of fatigue and improve sleep.
- Also, massage has a beneficial effect on the condition of the skin: makes it soft and supple. Permanent Ayurvedic massage allows you to extend the youthfulness of the skin.
- Massage also contributes to rapid weight loss, even in critical situations.
Ayurvedic massage provokes the production of the hormone of joy, relaxes muscles and relieves stress, which improves a person’s mental health and stabilizes resistance to irritability.
Types of massage in Ayurveda
Depending on the technique, the necessary equipment and area of impact
Ayurvedic massage is classified as follows:
- Abhyanga. This type of massage is the most common in the whole world. A feature of Abhyanga massage is the use of a large amount of warm essential oil. The technique of performing Abhyangi provides for a 4-hand procedure. With this massage, the whole body is rubbed, starting from the head and gradually moving to the legs. Due to this, a person gains harmony, the work of the body is adjusted, and the body is charged with energy.
- Mukha Abhyanga. The difference between this type of massage and Abhyanga is expressed in the fact that with this massage only the head, neck and decollete are worked out. Mukha Abhyanga provides for the impact on certain areas of the face, head, neck and decollete. Massage is also done with plenty of warm oil. Massage Makha Abhyanga recommended for people suffering from insomnia, frequent headaches, depression, fatigue. Also, this type of massage is often used by cosmetologists, as it is also aimed at rejuvenating and nourishing the facial skin.
- Marma This type of Ayuveda massage is the oldest. Marma massage involves exposure to certain points on the human body. The technique of performing the massage depends on which particular dosha has been unbalanced. Only certain areas of the body are massaged. The impact is thumbs. Marma massage returns energy balance. Thanks to this massage has a generally healing effect (toxins are eliminated, digestion and blood circulation are normalized, the immune system is strengthened). Marma massage is recommended for diseases such as asthma, arthrosis, migraine. It will also help people suffering from pressure.
- Kativasti. This type of massage is recommended for people suffering from back pain, as well as for people who have problems with the spine. Since during the procedure, all the impact is only on the lower of the spine. Black lentils are superimposed on this area, lentils are laid in a ring, tightly fitting to the body. Warm essential oil is poured into the center of the ring. Thanks to which the pain goes away, and prolonged exposure to warm oil has a beneficial effect on the spine, strengthening it.
- Panchakarma. Panchakarma massage helps prevent many diseases. Panchakarma massage is aimed at strengthening the human immune system, eliminating toxins, improving vision, improving mental health. This type of massage is recommended for people suffering from gynecological diseases, diseases of the stomach, anemia, diabetes. It also helps in the treatment of mental illness. Panchakarma is not only massage, except for it, treatment also includes enemas, the use of laxatives, bloodletting and rinsing of the nose. This is all aimed at completely removing toxins and harmful substances from the body, which become the cause of many diseases.
- Shirodhara. Shirodhara is recommended for people suffering from diseases of the nervous system, diseases of the heart and intestines, migraines and constant stress. Also, this type of massage is recommended for people suffering from dandruff and baldness. The technique of Shirodhara massage is as follows: on special sections of the forehead, pour heated oil in a thin stream. At the same time, the head is massaged. Therefore, Shirodhara is also good for hair.
- Netra Tarpan. Netra Tarpan is recommended for people suffering from eye diseases. Since massage is aimed at strengthening the optic nerve, improving vision, normalizing blood circulation. In addition, Netra Tarpan is also used for cosmetic purposes, since massage helps prevent premature wrinkles in the corners of the eyes, smoothes existing wrinkles and eliminates black circles under the eyes. The procedure is as follows: around the eyes make a ring of dough. Warm oil is poured into this ring. After the procedure, for some time, the eyes should not get light. Therefore, for 60-80 minutes, the eyes should be kept in a dark bandage.
- Kizhi. Kizhi is recommended for people experiencing constant stress and mental stress. Massage is performed with bags filled with various herbs. The effect of the procedure depends on the contents of the bags. The general useful properties of Kizhi are: cleansing the body, normalizing blood circulation, rejuvenating the skin, relieving mental stress.
- Honey. Ayuverd uses 8 types of honey, each of which has healing properties. Honey massage helps fight many diseases (arthritis, arthrosis, viral infections), relieve tension and improve skin condition. Most often, Ayurveda uses heated honey. The technique of honey massage depends on the area of influence and the type of honey (light, dark, mountain).
- Segmented classic. Segmented classic massage is recommended for people who have problems with the spine. During the procedure, each section of the spine is worked out.
Ratna Abhyanga. Ratna Abhyanga is recommended for people experiencing constant stress, as well as for those people who spend a lot of time on their feet. Massage is performed using stones, cold and hot stones are used. For some parts of the body, both cold and hot stone
s are used immediately (for example, for the face). This type of massage relaxes muscles, relieves leg fatigue and tones.
What oils are used
Regardless of the type, Ayurvedic massage is always performed using medicinal base essential oils.
Depending on the constitution of the body, type of human skin, gender and age, the following oils are used:
- All essential oils are suitable for cotton wool. However, the best effect of the procedures can be achieved using hazelnut oil and sesame oil.
- Coconut and olive oils are ideal for pita type. You can also use jasmine oil, lavender, cumin.
- Almond and mustard oil, cinnamon oil, myrrh, basil are suitable for kapha type. For kapha-type people, it is not necessary to use oils, since people of this type are least in need of oils. Oil can be replaced with alcohol.
There are also mixed types; oils recommended for these types can be used for them. Oils are recommended to be used together with medicinal herbs to achieve the best result.
It is recommended to carry out an ayurvedic procedure on an empty stomach.
Kizhi massage technique is performed according to the following procedure:
- Before the procedure, bags are prepared. They add medicinal herbs, and oil is poured.
- Then smear the back with essential oil.
- Back massage for some time with hands (without exerting pressure), about half an hour.
- After that, a cold decoction of medicinal herbs is poured onto the head. And then the head is wrapped with cloth. It is necessary that the head remains cold, because otherwise it can become bad during the procedure.
- After this, the bags are dipped in hot oil or a decoction of herbs. And they affect the body. The movements are directed from top to bottom. Particular attention is paid to energy points.
- At the end of the procedure, they clap on the back for several minutes.
The whole Kizhi procedure lasts more than 1 hour.
Massage technique Ratna Abhyanga:
- Stones are prepared before the procedure.
- The head is covered with a special bandage.
- The plot is oiled.
- About 20 minutes circular movements are performed on the entire back (counterclockwise).
- Then warm stones are applied to special areas.
- From time to time, stones change to hotter.
- At the end, the area affected is smeared with essential oil.
It is important to ensure that the stones are constantly hot, this is the most important in the process of body massage.
Self massage technique
Mukha Abhyanga is a type of Ayurvedic massage that can be performed independently.
It is done like this:
- A small amount of oil (1 s. L.) is poured on the top of the head. After which the oil is rubbed in a circular motion on the rest of the head, the movements are the same as when washing the head.
- Gradually, you need to move on to the temples and work on them for a while. At the same time, you need to use the ears, paying special attention to the lobes.
- After you need to slowly move to the face. From the ears you need to gradually move to the chin and lips. Then again return to the earlobes. Then from the ears to the corners of the lips and nostrils, forehead. From the center of the forehead to the temples and the outer corners of the eyes.
- After you need to move to the neck. Movement should be directed from bottom to top. Slowly need to move to the back of the neck.
- After the neck, you need to move to the neckline and shoulders. Here you can use the whole palm, making it circular movements with little pressure.
- At the end of the procedure, the oil is removed with a towel, and only after that you can take a bath or shower.
Each part of the body during the massage should be well designed. But not by force, but by technology. The movements should be soft and neat. The whole procedure should last about 20-25 minutes.
How to do Ayurvedic massage for a child
Ayurvedic massage can be done even for young children. However, it is important that the child is completely calm and relaxed, set up for the procedure. Sesame and linseed oil are best for massaging your baby.
Massage the child as follows:
- First of all, you need to carefully work out the neck area. The oil is rubbed softly into the neck. The child should sit with his back.
- Gradually, the area should increase, and go down below. Thus, the entire back should be worked out.
- After the back you need to move to the chest. Swipe movement may be slightly increased.
- After the chest, the stomach is worked out. It is undesirable to exert pressure on the stomach, in this area the movements should be especially soft.
- And then you need to go down to the hips and legs. Feet can be rubbed more energetically.
- At the very end, you need to work out your hands, including your fingers.
After the procedure, the remaining oil is removed with a towel. And then you need to take a warm shower.
Useful and important points
Ayurvedic medicine since ancient times helped to cure many diseases and prolong the youth of the body. The main Ayurvedic medicine is precisely body massage. The technique of exposure to muscles and body tissues, used oils, the atmosphere in which the procedure is performed, affects not only the body, but the psychological background.
The procedure is a kind of meditation, during a massage a person forgets about problems and completely relaxes. Also during the procedure, pressure is exerted on special points on the human body that affect the state of the whole organism. Thanks to this, the body establishes work, a person gains harmony and peace.
Estimated Cost of Procedures
The price of the massage depends on the means used, and on who it will be performed and where. In different areas, the cost of natural oils differs, and the experience of a massage therapist also affects the price. Since durin
g Ayurvedic massage the main influence is played by the correct technique, and only an experienced specialist is able to do it correctly.
The approximate price of a massage is:
- In New York – from $ 27 – $ 109.
- In the New York – from $ 20 – $ 82.
- In Los Angeles – from $ 20 – $ 82.
- In Las Vegas – from $ 20 – $ 60.
The cost of a massage course is approximately $ 204. However, if several types of massage are performed at once, the cost of the course may exceed $ 408. Ayurvedic treatment will help eliminate the symptoms of certain diseases, relieve anxiety and fatigue.
Ayurvedic massage is good for health, but has many contraindications.
- Allergy to oils and herbs.
- Diseases of the skin.
- Infectious diseases.
- Oncological diseases.
In such cases, it is recommended to refrain from the procedure, as it can adversely affect health. If you experience an allergic skin reaction to the oils used, you can replace them with other, more suitable ones.
Ayurveda is one of the most effective Ayurvedic medicine ever since.
Ayurveda massage helps against many diseases (diabetes, arthrosis, arthritis), it also helps relieve stress and restore mental health. Such procedures have a beneficial effect on the skin, rejuvenating and nourishing it. Frequent carrying out of such procedures will help to prolong the youth of the body and maintain beauty.
Author: Nigmatulin Rail
Video about Ayurvedic massage, its techniques and effects on the body
Ayurveda massage for the head: