Pigment spots are patches of skin of different sizes that have changed color. The size of the spots and their color are different, depending on the causes. Such a change in the color of the skin does not lead to inflammation or the growth of new cells, so doctors consider the problem cosmetic. It is successfully solved with the help of special creams from age spots on the face.
- What causes pigmentation on the skin
- How do whitening products work
- Pharmacological group
- Composition of pharmaceutical products for age spots
- Effects on the skin of hydroquinone
- Skin effects of arbutin and beta-carotene
- Skin effects of fruit acids and tretinol
- Mercury Based Products
- Oily products
- Glycolic Acids
- Azelaic Acid
- How to apply bleaching agent
- Criteria for choosing a cream for pigmentation on the face
- Pros and cons of skin lightening agents
- Home Remedies for Pigmentation
- The use of clarifying preparations for the face during pregnancy
- Storage conditions and shelf life of bleaching agents
- Dermatologists reviews
- Comparison table of prices for pigmentation on the face
- Video about creams from age spots on the face
What causes pigmentation on the skin
The appearance of spots causes a change in the concentration of skin pigments: melanin, carotene, hemoglobin. Melanin is responsible for brown pigmentation, carotene for yellow, and hemoglobin for red.
Factors that lead to age spots:
- natural aging of the skin;
- hormonal disorders in the body associated with neoplasms or malfunction of the thyroid gland, temporary changes in the hormonal background when taking pharmaceutical preparations that contain hormones;
- liver disease
- nervous disorders, stress, psychosis;
- endocrine metabolic disorders;
- diseases of the female genital area;
- allergic reactions to cosmetics;
- the influence of ultraviolet rays, sunburn;
- chemical burns as a result of domestic or industrial injuries;
- physical injury or frostbite;
- genetic features;
- lack of vitamin C and PP, folic acid in the body.
How do whitening products work
The appearance of age spots is associated with excessive production of melanin. The general state of the immune and endocrine system also affects the pigmentation process. However, in a comprehensive solution to this problem, the leading position is taken by the fight against melanin.
In the fight against pigmentation you need:
- Stop the production of melanin.
- Lighten existing pigment areas.
- Balance the metabolism.
The production of pigment at the cellular level stops the active active ingredient in the composition of the clarifying cream. They come in different origins (chemical or vegetable). Their main task is to stop the development of melanomas.
Cream from age spots on the face when lightening the skin may be ineffective. It is necessary to carry out a set of measures, which include lifting and scrubbing.
These manipulations will allow you to remove the upper layer of the skin with keratinized areas. By stopping the production of melanin, the product acts on the cleaned pigment spot, making it lighter every day.
When passing the course of clarification, direct sunlight should be avoided. Some creams include a complex of protection against ultraviolet radiation. If a pharmacy ointment or a dermatological cream is used, drugs with UV filters must also be used. The sun provokes hyperproduction of melanin.
Remove age spots, especially in the form of moles (nevi), you need after consulting a doctor. It excludes the presence of neoplasms in the body of a mole. If the pigmented spots have an even flat shape, do not overlap each other, you can use cosmetic and medical preparations.
Cream from age spots on the face is recommended to use in the autumn. You can use them in winter, but avoid prolonged exposure to cold, as low temperatures affect the effectiveness of the drugs. In summer and spring, solar activity will interfere with the course.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Face fitness for lifting the face contour, rejuvenation, muscle tone. Master class from Elena Karkukli
Creams and ointments for removing age spots on the face belong according to the ATX code to the group “D11AX Other preparations for the treatment of skin diseases”.
Medical components of drugs:
- hamolenic acid;
- calcium gluconate;
- magnesium sulfate;
- hamolenic acid.
Composition of pharmaceutical products for age spots
The most effective and frequently used drugs are:
- Hydroquinone is an aromatic substance that can stop the production of melanin and destroy already created melanomas on the skin. A strong chemical reducing agent, which makes drugs with hydroquinone toxic with prolonged use, can cause redness and itching of the skin;
- Arbutin is a component of herbal whitening creams. It is inferior in strength to hydroquinone, but not toxic. Get bearberry from the plant. Arbutin molecule is a compound of glucose and hydroquinone. Included in cosmetic creams labeled “Arbutin” or “Glucosylatedhydroquinone”, “? -Arbutin”;
- Beta-carotene – a substance that enters the neutralization reaction of an enzyme that causes darkening of skin areas;
- Glabridin is an active substance that stops the production of melanin by cells, without interfering with the structure of the cells themselves;
- Tiratricol is a thyroid hormone, which is triiodothyroacetic acid. Used for mesotherapy;
- Melanozyme is an enzyme that reacts with skin cells and stops the development of any pigments;
- Gluconic acid – a regulator of the production of melanin at the cellular level;
- Ascorbic acid – stops the production of melanoma and strengthens the capillaries in the upper layers of the skin. In addition to lightening, the face gets rid of rosacea and redness;
- Vitamin E – is part of as an auxiliary component for skin regeneration, stops the development of allergic reactions from the use of brightening preparations.
Effects on the skin of hydroquinone
- penetrates the skin cells and stops the production of melanin;
- works on the surface of the skin – softens keratinized pigments and promotes their peeling;
- a very p
owerful tool that can cause allergic reactions – itching and burning.
Skin effects of arbutin and beta-carotene
- stops the growth of melanin cells due to inhibition of tyrosinase;
- has an antiseptic effect;
- causes allergic reactions on sensitive skin.
Skin effects of fruit acids and tretinol
- soften the surface of the epidermis, soften keratinized areas;
- interfere with the formation of comedones;
- stop the production of melanin in the skin cells;
- stimulate cell membranes;
- destroy bacteria in the upper layers of the dermis.
Mercury Based Products
Mercury ointment is an antiseptic. It is prepared in pharmacies with a prescription and stored in bottles that do not allow light to pass through. It is used only for external use with spotting on age spots.
All mercury based products are toxic.
Treatments for age spots with a greasy base include:
- Zinc ointment – the active substance is zinc oxide, brightens the skin and age spots on it, non-toxic;
- Sulfur ointment – acts as a peeling on the surface of the skin, removes the stratum corneum, and this brightens it. Apply no more than 1 time in 2 days, apply in the pigmentation zone;
- Retinoic ointment – brightens pigmentation spots, smoothes the skin from acne, relieves inflammation. Used in short courses, not more than 10 days, can not be used by pregnant and lactating women;
- Heparin ointment – removes freckles and age spots of large sizes, eliminates acne marks;
- “Amanita against” – a cream on a greasy basis against pigmentation and freckles, improves the elasticity of the dermal layer, in the composition – fly agaric extract, non-toxic, daily use is allowed;
- Syntomycin ointment – refers to the category of antibacterial agents, fights against microbes on the skin, effectively brightens darkened areas and removes dead cells. Not recommended for use longer than 1 month. The active substance is chloramphenicol (synthomycin) – 50 mg;
- Cream “Achromin” – a fatty cream, which includes extract from licorice root, lactic acid and arbumin. Evens out skin tone and brightens age spots. Used in the morning and evening;
- Belosalik ointment is produced in tubes of 30 g each , removes pigmentation, is used for neurodermatitis, dermatitis and urticaria, is applied only on darkened areas, is part of the pharmaceutical group of hormonal drugs (corticosteroids), and frequent use is not recommended.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Facial massage according to the Japanese doctor Asahi Zogan.
Treatments for age spots with a glycol base include:
- Cream “Reviva Labs, 5% Glycolic Acid Cream” – contains 5% glycolic acid, extracts of chamomile pharmacy and witch hazel, sunflower oil and safflower, vitamin complex. Do not use animal fats, parabens. Exfoliate the upper layer of the epidermis in layers, removing darkened areas from the skin;
- “Reviva Labs, 10% Glycolic Acid Cream” – the composition includes elements of plant origin: peach and pumpkin oil, extract of chamomile pharmacy and comfrey, a set of vitamins. Reduces pigmentation. Smoothes wrinkles, tightens pores and removes redness;
- “Neoteric Cosmetics Inc” is a cosmetic lotion with alpha hydroxy acid. A thick liquid with a soft texture, 12% glycolic acid in the composition lightens the skin and deeply moisturizes;
- “Gel Alta Potencia, NeoStrata (20% ANA)” – a transparent gel, which contains 15% glycolic acid and 2% citric acid. A high concentration of acids provides good lightening for oily and combination skin, it is not recommended for dry type of skin (causes peeling);
- Melanativ cream , consisting of kojic and glycolic acid, vitamin E and plant arbutin, prolonged use (up to 3 weeks), has a visible effect, stops the production of melanin.
Azelaic acid (Azelaic acid) – a substance of plant origin, which is an extract from cereals (wheat, barley, rye). It is successfully used in creams from age spots on the face, fights against acne.
Included in creams:
- Cream “Aknestop” – the main active ingredient azelaic acid. Designed to eliminate acne and lighten pigmented areas of the skin. Used in the morning and evening, applied to the entire face. The term of use is not limited, not addictive. Regulates the production of melanin and sebum in the skin;
- Cream “Azelik” – in addition to the whitening effect, has an antibacterial effect. Reduces the production of fatty acids in the skin. During the period of use of the product, the formation of comedones is reduced. Also, the drug effectively stops the production of melanocytes. The term of use for obtaining a visible effect is at least 4 weeks. There are no contraindications for use during pregnancy;
- Cream “Skinoren” – brightens the skin, makes it less oily. The composition of the cream stops the production of melanin and fatty acids in the skin cells. It has an antimicrobial effect. The cream is applied to cleansed skin in the morning and evening. Evenly distributed throughout the face. Duration of use – until the symptoms disappear completely;
- Cream “Azogel” – the main action of the cream is bactericidal. During testing, his ability to lighten pigmented areas of the skin was discovered. Able to soften and exfoliate dense areas of pigment. Relieves inflammatory foci after acne. Effectiveness is evident after 2 weeks of use. The term of application is unlimited.
How to apply bleaching agent
To avoid possible harm, the following rules must be observed when using lightening creams:
- apply only to cleansed face skin. For oily skin, use alcohol-containing lotions, for sensitive ones, tonics from decoctions of herbs and glycerin;
- apply pharmaceutical preparations and pharmacy ointments precisely, avoiding contact with clean skin;
- every day it is recommended to use a light scrub or chemical peeling twice a week. This will remove the upper stratum corneum of the dermis, improve the flow of active substance to problem areas of the skin;
- the duration of therapy depends on the chemical composition of the drug, do not use it longer than the recommended terms;
- if the sunscreen complex is not part of the product, additionally use a sun protection cream;
- in the summer, it is better to use lightening agents at night;
- it is forbidden to apply whitening preparations on injured skin, purulent inflammations;
- avoid cream on the mucous membranes of the nose and eyes.
Criteria for choosing a cream for pigmentation on the face
Dermatologists and cosmetologists advise to adhere to the following criteria when choosing a cream for lightening the skin:
- you need to analyze the condition of your skin. Determine its type and the presence of additional problems (rosacea, acne, comedones, scars, inflamed skin, allergies);
- choose the composition of the whitening cream by skin type. For oily, problematic skin, creams with acids are suitable, and for sensitive, prone to peeling – ointments based on oily. If you have acne, you need to choose a tool that not only solves the problem of pigmentation, but also fights acne;
- pay attention to the shelf life of the cream or ointment. You can not use funds on a fat basis if they are expired;
- the cream should not have a strong smell or color. This indicates the presence of fragrances and chemical dyes in the composition. These components do not solve the problem of pigmentation, but can cause redness and peeling of problem skin;
- bleaching agents should be used in cloudy weather. When the treatment period falls on the seasons with solar activity, it is recommended to use drugs that contain UV filters (for summer 25-50 SPF).
Pros and cons of skin lightening agents
|Achromin||Budget – $ 1,22;
can be used with makeup.
|Long use is necessary;
has contraindications for use.
|Clotrimazole||It acts on the upper layers of the dermis, does not penetrate the blood and lymph;
effective when used with folk remedies;
Available at pharmacies.
|The course of treatment is not less than a month.|
|Retinoic Ointment||Contains vitamins;
effective in complex therapy.
|Causes skin peeling;
use no longer than 10 days.
|Vichy||Effective even for the vascular network on the face and freckles, melanin pigment spots removes quickly.||Validity 7-9 weeks;
can not be used with cosmetics, apply only to clean skin.
moisturizes the skin well;
the effect is visible during the use of the cream on light brown spots.
|Does not lighten freckles;
poorly absorbed, leaves a greasy film;
the effect disappears after discontinuation of use.
|Avon||Effective as part of complex therapy with folk remedies;
well absorbed, moisturizes the skin.
does not lighten dark spots and large pigment spots,
does not affect freckles.
|Melanative||Effective in lightening pigment;
economical to use;
A good set of acids in the composition, vitamin E and alpha-arbutin.
|May cause burning and tingling sensation at the site of application;
difficult to buy;
oily cream base.
|Skinoren||The effect is noticeable after a week of use;
stops the appearance of new age spots;
can be used for prevention in the summer.
|Long-term use is needed – about 3 months;
there is a burning sensation on the skin.
|cream “Before and after”||Effective with hyperpigmentation;
suitable for sensitive and aging skin;
contains UV filters;
contains a vitamin complex;
can be used during pregnancy.
ong-term use of the cream (at least 1 month);
allergic reactions to plant components are possible, with individual intolerance.
|Belosalik||The drug has a lasting effect with prolonged use.||A very oily ointment, when used 3 times a day, it is necessary to be at home;
Itching and burning
redness of healthy skin around the pigment is possible;
belongs to the group of hormonal drugs.
|Neoton.||Effective against pigmentation;
contains 2 acids: glycolic and salicylic;
used under decorative cosmetics.
|An allergic reaction in the form of urticaria after the first application is possible.|
|Vitex.||Grapefruit extract and seaweed – its active substances;
contains many essential oils and vitamins.
|The action of the cream is aimed at subcutaneous adipose tissue, clarification is a secondary process.|
|Tridox||The combined action of clotrimazole and gentamicin brightens the pigments well when spotted.||Hormonal drug, not for frequent use;
provokes dry skin around the treated area.
Home Remedies for Pigmentation
The following products for lightening home-made skin have proven themselves well:
- homemade cream with lemon: 5 large tablespoons of almond oil (you can use refined olive oil), 2 small tablespoons of chamomile broth, 3 drops of tea tree essential oil, 2 small tablespoons of pharmacy glycerin combine in a water bath, warm, but do not boil. Remove the mixture from the heat and add 2 small tablespoons of lemon juice, mix vigorously until it cools down. Store in the refrigerator, use after scrubbing, at night;
- ointment based on lanolin: melt 20g in a water bath. lanolin, add 30ml. grape seed or almond oil, simmer in a water bath for about an hour. Remove from heat, cool slightly and add the gruel of fresh cucumber. Prepare it from a small fruit immediately before introduction into the mixture. Store the ointment in the refrigerator, apply to a cleansed face;
- mask on sour cream: thick cream of high fat mix with 2 large tablespoons of lemon gruel. Use lemon with peel. Cook the mask at once. Apply for 25 minutes. Wash off with warm water without soap;
- mask with parsley : you can use fresh juice, but it is allowed to prepare a mixture with green leaves. Mix in equal proportions finely chopped parsley leaves, lemon pulp, honey. If the mask turns out to be liquid, you can add cream. Apply to the face in a lying position, for 20-25 minutes;
- tomato mask : in season, pulp is used from the pulp of a tomato, without a peel. It not only brightens the skin, but also fights against rosacea. This effect gives ascorbic acid in the composition of the vegetable;
- cucumber lotion : fresh cucumber juice is diluted with clean boiled water (1: 1). You can add 2 small spoons of pharmacy glycerin. Use during the day to wipe the face. Store the mixture in the refrigerator. It is recommended that you prepare fresh lotion daily.
The use of clarifying preparations for the face during pregnancy
Hyperpigmentation during pregnancy is a common occurrence. This is provoked by fluctuations in the hormonal background of a woman. If the number of pigment areas is insignificant, then do not use creams from age spots on the face, but the use of natural masks is recommended.
When pigmentation becomes critical, bleaching agents may be used. To do this, you need to read the instructions for use of the drug and consult a doctor.
Recommendations of dermatologists for pigmentation in pregnant women:
- the use of drugs with hydroquinone is prohibited, in view of its high toxicity;
- glycolic peels are safe during this period, but affect melanomas in different ways depending on the age of the pregnant woman;
- retinoids are at risk, their effect on pregnancy is not fully understood. In creams, in the composition of the components, they are referred to as retinol, retinyl, differential, retinoic acid and retinol compounds;
- salicylic acid can complicate the development of the fetus. During pregnancy, it is recommended to abandon the funds containing it. As part of cosmetic preparations, it is indicated as “salicylic acid” or “beta-hydroxyl acid”;
- the use of “Achromin” threatens the course of pregnancy;
- zinc-based preparations can be safely used;
- It is recommended to avoid ultraviolet radiation, use caps with a visor and sunscreens with a high degree of protection.
Storage conditions and shelf life of bleaching agents
The time for the safe use of creams and ointments is indicated by the manufacturer on the package. This is especially true for oily products. The use of an expired drug can cause purulent inflammatory processes on the skin.
The time of use of such funds can be from 10 months to several years. Akhromin cream has the shortest shelf life, but zinc ointment with the correct content will last up to 5 years. Salicylic-zinc ointment and Belosalik can be stored for a long time and safely. They can be kept in warm seasons outside the refrigerator, at temperatures up to 35,6 – 41°F.
For most brighteners, the average shelf life is about a year at a comfortable temperature of no higher than 35,6 – 32°F. In the summer, all brightening preparations are recommended to be kept in the refrigerator.
It is forbidden to store drugs not tightly closed or in damaged bottles. Do not freeze (at temperatures below 23°F), since pharmaceutical forms can change the chemical composition and become unusable.
- if you need to quickly get rid of age spots, you should consult a cosmetologist for complex therapy. The use of home remedies is effective,
but treatment takes a long time;
- the highest efficiency from treatment is observed in the autumn period, when the skin is not subject to attack by sunlight and winter frosts;
- during skin lightening period it is necessary to take pharmaceutical vitamin complexes to support the body, refuse smoked and salty foods;
- Before applying brightening agents, it is imperative to use a set of skin cleansing measures;
- people with dark skin are more difficult to tolerate brightening agents and hardware cosmetology, this is due to the genetic phototype. Procedures associated with suppressing the synthesis of melanin or tyrosinase blocking in such people take a long time;
- in fair-skinned people, anti-pigmentation procedures can cause a burn, they have a higher risk of developing cancer;
- getting rid of pigmentation is more difficult for women, due to active changes in the hormonal background;
- Mesotherapy with special cocktails and peels with fruit acids is effective for lightening the skin. Procedures are carried out in a beauty parlor;
- products with retinol and laser resurfacing successfully fight pigmentation.
Comparison table of prices for pigmentation on the face
|Ointment “Belosalik”||$ 5,78|
|Retinoic Ointment||from $ 3,3.|
|Ointment “Clotrimazole” 1% bottle 20g||from $ 0,61.|
|“Synthomycin ointment” 10%, tube 25 g.||from $ 0,54.|
|Akhromin cream, bottle of 1,52 fluid ounce.||from $ 1,4.|
|Cream “Vichy”||from $ 11,45.|
|Cream “Before and after”, tube 50ml.||from $ 1,63.|
|Skinoren, cream 20%, package 30ml.||from $ 16.|
|Cream “Melanativ”||from $ 6,12.|
|Cream “Azelik”||from $ 4,8.|
|ISIS PHARMA Neoton Radiance Day Cream SPF 50+||from $ 29.|
|“Reviva Labs, 10% Glycolic Acid Cream”||from $ 20.|
|Neoteric Cosmetics Inc||from $ 12,1.|
Cosmetic and medicinal creams for age spots of different intensities successfully cope with a problem on the face. If you correctly determine the causes of excess pigment, you can conduct effective therapy and get rid of the problem at home.
Video about creams from age spots on the face
Cooking cream from age spots at home:
Pharmacy products to eliminate age spots on the face: