The problem of dry lips causes a lot of inconvenience. In addition to physical discomfort, it can spoil the appearance. In order for the fight against dry lips to be effective, you need to know the causes of its formation, treatment and prevention options for both women and men or children.
- Why lips dry and flaky
- Why lips dry and crack
- Causes of dry lips in women
- Why lips dry and crack during pregnancy
- Causes of dry lips in men
- Dry lips as a symptom of a disease
- Dry lips and allergic reactions
- Lip treatment for colds and SARS
- How to treat with menopause
- With diabetes
- In oncology
- For diseases of the pancreas
- With gastritis
- Drug treatment
- How to treat dry lips, if there are no signs of the disease
- Homeopathic remedies for dry lips
- Cosmetical tools
- Lip peeling
- Lip mask recipes
- How to quickly get rid of dryness
- What can not be done with dry lips
- Video about why women lips dry and treatment methods
Why lips dry and flaky
The reasons why women and men dry their lips can be quite a lot. Dryness is often accompanied by peeling.
The most common causes of this condition include:
- weather conditions – under the influence of wind, frosty or hot air, the delicate skin of the lips is deprived of a large amount of moisture. The result is dry skin, which, with further exposure to the weather, begins to peel off;
- bad habits – smoking and frequent drinking. While taking alcoholic beverages, the body is dehydrated. He draws the missing moisture from the skin cells. When smoking, the condition of the lips is adversely affected by dry smoke released by smokers through the mouth;
- drinking hot and spicy drinks or food .
Why lips dry and crack
A condition where dry lips is accompanied by cracking is more dangerous than peeling. This is due to the fact that microbes and bacteria that can provoke serious diseases are easier to get into the cracks.
The causes of cracking on the lips include:
- deficiency of vitamins A, B and E can lead to thinning of the skin on the lips, which can provoke the appearance of cracks;
- herpes or stomatitis, violating the integrity of the skin of the lips;
- a number of diseases of internal systems and organs.
Causes of dry lips in women
There are a number of reasons leading to dry skin of the lips.
- licking or biting . Apparent relief will not last long. Moisture in this case evaporates much faster, which exacerbates the existing problem. Mechanical impact (biting) also contributes to injuries of the delicate skin of the lips;
- violation of the water balance in the body . When dehydration begins, the skin first suffers. The surface of the lips is no exception, they are one of the first to react to a lack of moisture;
- the use of low-quality decorative cosmetics or toothpaste. When exposed to delicate skin with aggressive chemical constituents, the lips lose a lot of moisture, which leads to peeling and cracking;
- severe stressful shocks .
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Face fitness for lifting the face contour, rejuvenation, muscle tone. Master class from Elena Karkukli
Why lips dry and crack during pregnancy
The reasons why the lips dry and crack in women who are pregnant are repeated all of the above.
In addition to this, there are several other factors that can provoke a problem:
- hormonal changes . With the onset of pregnancy, the female body is rebuilt to create comfortable conditions for the unborn child. As a result, some systems begin to work differently. The most affected are skin, hair, nails and teeth;
- changes in taste preferences . During pregnancy, many expectant mothers often want salty or spicy foods. With its systematic use, the skin of the lips becomes dry and prone to cracking;
- most of the vitamins and trace elements are spent on the processes of formation and further fetal development. Mom herself gets them much less. Dry and chapped lips can also result from this situation.
Causes of dry lips in men
Dry lips are found not only in women. Men can also suffer from this ailment. The causes of its occurrence in both sexes practically do not differ from each other.
The most basic of them, which provoke dry lips in men:
- The effect of the weather.
- Addiction to alcohol and tobacco.
- Improper nutrition.
- The habit of licking lips.
- Lack of vitamins and minerals.
- The initial stage of dehydration.
- Diseases of the skin of the lips and oral cavity.
- Diseases of the internal organs.
Dry lips as a symptom of a disease
Factors leading to discomfort may lie in the presence of one of the following diseases of the internal organs:
- Diseases accompanied by a runny nose and fever, such as SARS or the flu.
- The presence of malignant tumors.
- High blood sugar (diabetes).
- Gastrointestinal diseases.
- Thyroid disease.
- In women, the problem of dry lips may appear during menopause.
In any case, if a problem occurs, you need to see a doctor to identify the exact cause. Not in all cases is it possible to independently achieve effective results.
Dry lips and allergic reactions
If you experience an allergic reaction to the use of inappropriate cosmetics or oral hygiene products, dry lips may appear. In case of untimely withdrawal of the product that caused the allergy, dry skin may begin to peel off or crack.
If the ailment is caused by an allergy, the following steps are required:
- Eliminate the use of allergen.
- Start taking antihistamines (Suprastin or Tavegil). Lips are treated with hygienic lipstick or balm.
- You can use special hormonal ointments. It is advisable that they be prescribed by a doctor.
- After eliminating dryness, it is recommended to use moisturizers or balms.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Facial massage according to the Japanese doctor Asahi Zogan.
Lip treatment for colds and SARS
Lips are dry. The cause in women and men can be during colds.
You can deal with this problem in the following way:
- To eliminate the cause of the disease – to cure a cold or SARS.
- When taking medicines for colds, you need to drink as much fluid as possible.
- Lubricate the lips with a nourishing and moisturizing agent. These include hygienic lipstick, fish oil, sour cream, butter. It is important that the
product used be without unnecessary chemical constituents (for example, in the form of fragrances). They can cause allergies, thereby exacerbating the situation.
How to treat with menopause
During menopause, the female body undergoes hormonal changes. One of the consequences may be dry skin of the lips, which is sometimes accompanied by peeling or cracking.
You can alleviate the condition by following these recommendations:
- Use hygienic lip care products regularly (balms, lipstick or petroleum jelly).
- Take hormonal medications prescribed by your doctor.
- With a sudden attack of dryness, ice cubes can be applied to the lips. The main thing is not to keep them long, so as not to overcool the delicate skin of the lips.
- By possibly limiting the intake of spicy, spicy, salty foods. It is also not recommended to eat too hot or cold dishes.
- If you have a habit of licking your lips – abandon it.
- Do not tear off injured pieces of skin with your hands.
With diabetes, complaints about dry skin of the lips are not uncommon.
In this case, it is recommended to adhere to the rules:
- Strictly follow a diet.
- Take all medicines prescribed by your doctor. Monitor blood sugar.
- Use hygienic lip care products.
- Do massage on the lips.
Lips are dry. The cause in women is cancer. The fault is the drugs used, radiation therapy or a lack of fluid in the body.
In order to facilitate well-being, the patient can be recommended:
- use artificial saliva preparations. In this case, the mucous membrane of the mouth will receive additional hydration and, as a result, the condition of the dry skin of the lips can significantly improve. An alternative may be the use of chewing gum, which stimulates the natural production of saliva;
- Before receiving radiotherapy, it is recommended to undergo an examination at the dentist to eliminate possible diseases of the oral cavity;
- monitor oral hygiene. Use fluoride toothpaste;
- refuse spicy, spicy, hot and cold food. An ideal option would be to use liquid food at room temperature;
- drink as much fluid as possible;
- Do not forget about lip hygiene products.
For diseases of the pancreas
In the presence of pathologies of the pancreas, the patient always has a dry mouth and, as a result, skin on the lips.
Ways to combat dry lips with this disease differs little from the treatment of this disease in the presence of other diseases:
- Strictly adhere to the regimen of drugs to combat the underlying disease.
- Lips are regularly treated with care products.
- Adhere to an established diet. Spicy, salty, spicy is contraindicated both with a diseased organ and with the problem of dry lips.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Regularly massage lips, make nourishing and moisturizing masks.
One of the symptoms of developing gastritis is dry skin of the lips and oral mucosa.
You can deal with it in the following ways:
- Rinse your mouth with boiled water with citric acid dissolved in it, which can be replaced with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Rinse 2-3 times a day.
- Before a meal, drink a glass of clean water.
- Use inside tincture of flax seeds, which helps to retain moisture in the body, which prevents the skin from drying out.
- Do not forget about massage and moisturizing procedures for the lips.
- Always use hygienic lipstick or balm.
Lips dry: the cause in women may be different. After finding out, you need to purchase drugs to combat the problem itself.
So, there are several varieties of pharmacy drugs for the treatment of dry lip skin:
- multivitamins . If dry lips are caused by a lack of vitamins, it is necessary to enrich the diet with vegetables and fruits. To approximate the desired result, you can buy a vitamin complex in a pharmacy and take it, according to the instructions;
- antihistamines . It should be taken when dry lips are caused by allergic reactions. Taking the drug should be accompanied by a complete refusal to use the drugs that caused the allergy;
- sedatives . Help in the treatment of dry skin on the lips caused by stressful situations. Take a course, according to the instructions;
- antifungal drugs . They are used to treat diseases of the lips that provoke their dryness, such as herpes. Treatment with these agents should be carried out until complete recovery.
How to treat dry lips, if there are no signs of the disease
If dryness of the skin of the lips is not a symptom of any disease, you can cure it with folk remedies without resorting to the help of pharmacy drugs.
The most effective methods:
- make pulp from the lower leaves of aloe. Apply it on the lips 1 time per day. Keep for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with water;
- prepare a decoction based on one of the plant components that have antiseptic effects. These include oak bark, St. John’s wort, sage or calendula. Moisten a cotton pad in the resulting broth and apply to the lips. Leave to exposure for 15-20 minutes;
- prepare a decoction of calendula, chamomile, a string and birch buds. Take orally after a meal. Regular use of this product will lead to the improvement of the oral cavity and, as a result, improvement of the skin condition of the lips;
- vegetable oils can soften dry skin of the lips (cocoa butter, wheat, peppermint, lavender or rose hips). Apply on lips at night.
Homeopathic remedies for dry lips
Homeopathy can cope with the problem of dry lips. The doctor will prescribe the necessary drugs and their dosage.
The most popular tools in this category for resolving
the described problem:
- Mercury solubilis – used for diseases of the oral cavity, as well as digestive systems. Most often assigned to women.
- Apis – fights inflammation. Helps eliminate swelling in the oral cavity.
- Hepar sulfur – is prescribed to combat dermatological diseases.
- Belladonna – suitable for relieving skin inflammation.
- Acidum nitricum – promotes the healing of cracks in the lips.
- Berberis and Helsemium – help relieve itching.
In addition to medicines and traditional medicine, cosmetics can help combat dry lips. Their use should be regular, which will prevent the skin from drying out on the lips. This area needs care no less than in any other part of the body.
You can use the following drugs:
- Hygienic lipstick. Regular use can prevent dry peeling. And in the case of her education will help to get rid of her more likely.
- Baby cream. Promotes the speedy healing of dry lips due to moisturizing and nourishing properties.
- Means of the NIVEA line . Most of the women who used cosmetics of this brand noted an improvement in the condition of the skin of all parts of the body after its use. The cream “Intensive Defense” has a great effect. Apply it twice daily.
- Balm “Ladival” . Protects lips from weather conditions. Promotes healing of wounds on the lips.
Are your lips dry The reason for women and men may be hiding in the presence of dead skin cells on the surface of the lips. They interfere with the normal functioning of the epidermis and form an invisible crust on the lips, which “tightens” the skin. As a result, there is a feeling of dryness.
To avoid this, regularly remove dead particles. Peeling procedures will help. You can go to the cosmetology clinic or perform the procedure at home. For self-cleaning procedure, you can use specialized products sold in pharmacies and cosmetic stores.
The main thing is to follow the recommendations for use. Do not hold the product on the lips for longer than the recommended time.
Another option for lip peeling at home is to make the active composition yourself.
The most popular peeling formulations at home:
- mix 1 teaspoons. granulated sugar and olive oil. Apply the mixture to the lips with your fingers and massage for 1 minute. After that, wash off the rest of the product with water;
- need to mix 1 tablespoon. liquid honey and 2 teaspoons cane sugar. Cover the lips with the resulting mass and leave for exposure for 30-60 minutes. After the allotted time, remove the remaining sugar from the lips;
- mix half 1 small tablespoons of ground coffee with 1 teaspoons. olive oil. Apply with massage movements to the lips. Massage for 3-4 minutes, then rinse the composition from the lips.
It doesn’t matter in what favor the choice will fall. In any case, before the procedure, it is necessary to clean your lips from any cosmetics.
After peeling, it is recommended to moisturize the skin of the lips.
In order for the delicate skin of the lips to receive the moisture it needs and protection from adverse factors, you need to systematically use hygienic lipsticks and balms. Along with them, it is possible to use natural products, such as: honey, fish or goose fat, kiwi juice.
Massage enhances blood circulation and its greater influx to skin cells:
- It copes well with the problem of dry massage with petroleum jelly . To conduct it, you need a small amount of excipient (petroleum jelly). Apply it to the treated surface and massage in circular motions for 10-20 minutes. Remove greasy residues with a tissue.
- Massage with a toothbrush. To conduct it, you need to purchase a brush with soft bristles. Moisten it with warm water and massage in a gentle circular motion over the entire surface of the lips.
- Using oils . Cosmetic oils with moisturizing and nourishing effects, such as linseed, olive, and shea butter, are well-suited. Apply a drop of selected vegetable fat to the lips and massage with tapping fingertips.
Lip mask recipes
From drying out, you can regularly make homemade masks:
- Mix high-fat cottage cheese with carrot or pumpkin juice. The ratio of these ingredients is 1: 2. Add to the resulting mixture wheat germ oil in an amount of 4 drops. Apply on lip area for 20 minutes, then rinse. Helps in healing cracks and peeling.
- Weatherproof mask . To prepare the product you need 1 tablespoon. Flaxseed or fennel seed pour 1 cup of water and put on fire. After boiling, reduce the intensity of combustion and simmer before the liquid thickens. After cooling, cover the lips with the resulting product for 20 minutes.
- Gelatin-based lip mask . To prepare a moisturizing mask you need: 1 tablespoon. mix gelatin with 4 tablespoon. water. After the gelatin swells, you should melt it in a microwave or in a water bath. Add 2 tablespoon. kefir and 1 tablespoon oat flour. Before using this product, lubricate the lips with baby cream. Leave the mask on the lips until completely dry.
How to quickly get rid of dryness
If it was not possible to prevent the drying of the skin of the lips, and there is not much time for the treatment of this ailment, you can use a cucumber. It is necessary to place it in the refrigerator for half an hour, then cut into slices and apply to the lips for 20-30 minutes.
Relief is felt after the first application. Also in the fight against dry skin can help green tea. To do this, you need to apply the used tea bags to the lips for half an hour. With daily use, the lips are moisturized in a natural way.
What can not be done with dry lips
When lips are dry, it is not recommended to use lipstick with a matte effect. It has the ability to absorb moisture from the skin, which will exac
erbate the situation. In order to avoid infection with other diseases, it is forbidden to touch the lips with your hands, especially if cracks appear on them.
The skin on the lips is very thin and delicate. This is explained by the absence of sebaceous glands. Thus, this area of the face is most susceptible to negative environmental influences. To prevent dry lips, which can appear under the influence of a number of reasons, both in men and in women, cosmetic care products and traditional medicine recipes should not be neglected.
Video about why women lips dry and treatment methods
The causes of dry lips and means for moisturizing them:
How to restore dry lips at home: