Exercises that are performed to develop the gluteus maximus muscle can be aimed at gaining muscle mass, relief, strength or endurance of a given part of the body. The preparation of the training program and the choice of sports equipment depends on the purpose of visiting the gym, as well as what result you need to achieve.
The essence and basic principles
Exercises for pumping the gluteus maximus muscle should be performed in compliance with the basic principles of training.
The essence of the training process in a gym is the following aspects:
|Basic principles of exercise on the gluteus maximus muscle||The essence of the training process|
|The use of simulators||The training process aimed at developing the gluteus maximus muscle involves the use of sports equipment such as the barbell and dumbbells. In this case, it is necessary not to focus only on this toolkit. At least 1 time per week should pump the back of the thigh with the help of simulators. These include weight traction with biceps on the back of the thigh, leg press with the legs (while the athlete lies on his back, which is pressed against the bench of the simulator).|
|Weight exercises||The organization of the training process directly depends on what result you need to achieve upon completion of the muscle development course. Weight training exercises involve the use of maximum weights that rise with a minimum number of repetitions (2 to 4 times).|
|Heavy drink||The main rule for performing all exercises on the gluteus maximus muscle, regardless of whether they are aimed at gaining mass, achieving the effect of relief or endurance, is a plentiful drink. During the entire training set, you must drink at least 0,4 gallon of water. The muscle fibers of the posterior thigh require regular intake of large amounts of fluid. Poor drinking or untimely fluid intake can lead to fiber dehydration, as a result of which the athlete does not get the necessary result in the development of the body.|
|Compliance with the rules of the technique of performing exercises||Each exercise that pumps the muscles of the back of the thigh should be performed correctly. Not deep enough squatting with a barbell, jerking on the simulator, or incorrectly fixed body position on the simulator, can lead to a lack of progress in the development of the gluteus maximus muscle, and also cause serious injury.|
|Terrain Exercises||One of the areas of the training process is the implementation of exercises with a large number of repetitions. This principle of training is shown to athletes who have an excess of adipose tissue and wish that the result of exercise would be a more pronounced allocation of muscle fibers.|
|Muscle Growth Stimulation||A regular visit to the gym provides an increase in testosterone levels in the blood, and also stimulates muscle gain. At the same time, the maximum development peak is provided to those muscles that are emphasized during the training process. The principle of stimulating muscle growth is realized only if the athlete regularly visits the gym without missing workouts.|
|Work with optimal weights||Most exercises on the gluteus maximus muscle should be performed with working weights. To implement this principle, it is necessary to set the weight of a sports apparatus in such a way that it is possible to perform 8-10 repetitions in 3 sets. Lifting the barbell with a squat, or the leg press on the simulator should occur without jerks and signs of excessive weight.|
|Maximum Super Sets||At least 1 time in 2 weeks, you must work with maximum weights. This applies even to athletes who do not set the task of building muscle mass or developing physical strength. Maximum super-sets are necessary so that there is no stagnation in the development of muscle fibers and constant training progress is ensured.|
|Using minimum weights||The use of minimum weights facilitates the thorough pumping of all muscle groups, improves blood circulation in the muscle tissue of the posterior thigh.|
|The development of muscle fiber endurance||To develop endurance of the gluteus maximus muscle, bodyweight exercises are used that provide training for the back of the thigh, and also strengthen the ligaments, tendons, bone and connective tissue of the hip joint.|
|Correct cardiac load||In conjunction with the exercises on the simulators, as well as with the use of barbells, weights and dumbbells, it is necessary to carry out cardiological training. They are aimed at strengthening the heart muscle and the walls of the great vessels. Cardiological training can be carried out in a gym. A treadmill is great. At least 1 time per week, when there is no training program for pumping the gluteus maximus muscle, it is necessary to run a distance of 1 – 1 mile. This exercise also develops the gluteus maximus muscle, gives it relief, eliminates excess adipose tissue, and at the same time strengthens the cardiovascular system. Ignoring this principle of training over time can lead to heart and vascular disease.|
|Injury prevention||The gluteus maximus muscle consists of long fibers that cover almost the entire subcutaneous surface of the back of the thigh. To prevent damage, it is necessary to perform a preliminary warm-up, the average duration of which is from 10 to 20 minutes. The heating of the entire lower body is carried out. Lumbar, hips, back biceps legs, lower leg are flexing. When doing squats with a barbell, you need to warm up your back and shoulder girdle.|
The implementation of the above principles of training in the gym and pumping the gluteus maximus muscle is a prerequisite for those athletes who want to achieve a positive training result in gaining muscle mass, burning excess fat or developing physical strength.
Indications for use
Exercises for the gluteus maximus muscle have direct indications for men and women who have problems with appearance, or suffer from pathologies of the musculoskeletal system. In the latter case, classes in the gym are not possible only on the condition of direct contraindications.
Regular pumping of the muscles of the back of the thigh is recommended in the following cases:
- muscle dystrophy associated with the consequences of impaired protein metabolism, or other pathological processes in the body that led to rapid protein loss and weight loss;
- a sedentary and inactive lifestyle, which leads to a gradual atrophy of the muscle fiber
s of the posterior thigh;
- the presence of excess body weight, which is localized in the subcutaneous layer of the buttocks and mainly consists of adipose tissue;
- rehabilitation after physical injuries of the hip joint, which allow moderate physical exertion;
- parallel training in other power sports, the development of which requires uniform pumping of the muscles of all groups, including the gluteus maximus (freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling, long jump, short distance sprinting, boxing, weightlifting);
- psychological need to achieve aesthetically attractive forms of muscle tissue of the buttocks, which is especially popular among the female half of the population;
- lesson in the gym, which is aimed at the development of other muscles, and the pumping of the fibers of the back of the thigh is in the complex of the general training program.
Exercises for the gluteus maximus muscle are indicated for men and women who want to stay in good physical shape, have beautiful and developed buttocks, and have physical strength.
Physical activity on the muscles of the back of the thigh is contraindicated in people who have diseases of the musculoskeletal system, internal organs and body systems.
- previously transferred infringement of the sialoidal nerve, when there is a risk of a re-occurrence of the inflammatory process and lower limb dysfunction;
- varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, as well as increased fragility of the blood vessels of the legs;
- a bone fracture of the lower extremity, if less than 6 months have passed from the time of healing of the tissues. (after the expiration of a 6-month period, it is allowed to perform exercises on the gluteus maximus muscle, but using minimal weights);
- arthrosis of bone or connective tissue of the hip composition, which is in a chronic form of the course, or has passed into the stage of exacerbation;
- hemorrhoidal disease (the use of heavy barbells, weights, dumbbells, large weights on the simulator, can provoke deterioration of well-being and exacerbation of the disease);
- inguinal hernia of all stages and severity;
- intervertebral hernia, as well as displacement of the discs;
- diseases of the knee joints associated with the destruction of their tissues or the development of the inflammatory process;
- osteoporosis and increased fragility of bone tissue (found in men and women of a mature age group, in the diet of which there is not enough calcium, phosphorus, fluoride and vitamin D;
- chronic prostatitis in men (in the process of doing exercises on the back of the thigh, physical activity is created on the muscles of the pelvic floor, which are located in close proximity to the prostate gland, and their tension can cause an exacerbation of a chronic disease and acute pain syndrome);
- increased intraocular pressure;
- heart diseases associated with a violation of its rhythmic activity (tachycardia, arrhythmia, angina pectoris, bradycardia);
- previous cerebral stroke;
- severe traumatic brain injury, the consequences of which cause periodic disruption of the musculoskeletal system, dizziness and loss of consciousness;
- arterial hypertension, accompanied by hypertensive crises;
- vegetovascular dystonia.
Exercises for the gluteus maximus muscle should be performed in a gym only after a comprehensive examination of the entire body. Most physical activity, which involves pumping muscle fibers of the back of the thigh, is associated with squats with large weights, or with a bench press on simulators.
Before starting the training process, you must make sure that your health is in excellent condition.
Before going to the gym or for playing sports at home, you will need to purchase equipment and sportswear.
- sneakers or loafers;
- T-shirt, T-shirt;
- shorts or pants;
- gloves for fitness to prevent rubbing hands, the formation of dropsy and blood corns;
- athletic belt, so as not to tear your back and not provoke the formation of inguinal hernia;
- elastic bandages with which the knees are tied (prevention of tendon stretching).
When going to the gym, you must always have a supply of water with you. During training should drink at least 0,4 gallon of fluid. When performing dangerous exercises associated with squats with large weights, you must use the services of a trainer, instructor or the help of a friend.
Exercises for the gluteus maximus muscle include the use of the following sports equipment, workouts with which you can perform at home or in the gym.
To complete this exercise, you need a bar with a bar 7’2 foot long. A set of pancakes is performed on its edge to select the optimal weight.
After completing the preparation process, you must perform the following steps:
- The legs are set shoulder width apart.
- The bar of the bar is fixed on the trapezium from the back of the shoulders.
- A deep breath is carried out and the deepest squat is performed.
- When exhaling, the athlete returns to its original position.
The optimal number of repetitions is 8-10 times in 3 sets. It is very important that the posture is kept as even as possible throughout the training process. The weight of the bar can start from 110 pounds, or higher. This aspect depends on the athlete’s body weight, as well as individual physical strength.
Weight bench on the simulator
It is necessary to use a simulator, which provides a large weight bench using the back of the thigh. To do this, it is necessary to lie on a bench of a sports apparatus and fix the back as tightly as possible. The legs are mounted on the surface of the simulator bed. Weight must be selected in advance.
Before starting the exercise, a safety corkscrew is removed and the sports equipment is ready for use. At the time of lowering the weight, a deep breath is taken, and after straightening the legs and squeezing the lo
ad, an exhalation is performed. It is recommended to do 12 repetitions in 3-4 sets.
An effective exercise that alternately pumps the back of the thigh.
Training is carried out in compliance with the following technique:
- In both hands, you need to take a dumbbell weighing from 11 -22 pounds.
- The legs are set shoulder width apart.
- On inspiration, a step is performed with the right or left limb and an attack is carried out so that the maximum load on the buttock is created.
- On exhalation, the foot is repelled from the floor surface and the athlete returns to its original position.
Exercise is done alternately on each leg. During training, the muscle fibers are pumped not only on the back of the thigh, but also on the quadriceps, lower leg, back biceps of the leg, and tendons are also strengthened. It is necessary to perform 15 repetitions for each limb.
Weight training on the simulator
This is one of the most effective exercises, which makes it possible to create maximum physical load on the gluteus maximus muscle.
The training process is carried out as follows:
- On the simulator, the necessary amount of weight is set.
- The athlete lays on the simulator bench, touching the surface of the abdomen with a bench of a sports apparatus.
- The lower leg in the area of the heel is in contact with the handle for lifting weight.
- On inspiration, a pull of weight is performed using the muscles of the back biceps.
- On exhalation, the knee joint extends and the weight returns to its original position.
It is recommended to perform 8 repetitions in 3-4 sets. Flexion and extension of the leg should be carried out smoothly and without jerking. Otherwise, blood vessels or tendons located in the popliteal can be damaged.
This exercise on the back of the thigh is only suitable for experienced athletes who work with large weights. For its implementation, you need to take a weight in each hand. The weight of a sports apparatus can be 8, 12, 16, 53 -71 pounds, depending on the physical strength of the athlete.
Then you need to perform the following steps:
- The legs are placed so that the inner sides of the foot are as close as possible to each other.
- The weights that are squeezed in the hands rise to the level of the shoulder girdle closer to the chin.
- When inhaling, a squat is performed. All movements are done slowly so as not to lose balance and not provoke a fall.
- On the exhale, the legs are straightened at the knees and the initial position is taken.
This exercise must be performed for 5-7 reps in 3 sets. This type of training process allows you to build muscle, develops physical strength and volume of the gluteus maximus muscle.
In order to maintain the positive result achieved in the gym as long as possible, the following recommendations must be followed:
- refuse to use alcohol, drugs, tobacco products;
- drink as much water as possible;
- balance your diet by eating cereal cereals, meat, fish, chicken eggs, lactic acid products daily;
- perform physical exercises no more than 3 times a week;
- sleep at least 8 hours at night, and also provide yourself with a daytime sleep lasting 1 hour;
- avoid stress and psycho-emotional overstrain;
- Do not miss workouts.
The implementation of the above recommendations is a guarantee not only of preserving the results of the training process, but also ensures excellent well-being in general.
When to expect an effect
The first effect of a set of exercises on the gluteus maximus muscle will be noticeable after 1 month. continuous training process. In people who are prone to rapid gain in muscle mass, a positive result can be noticeable much earlier than the specified time.
The steady effect of classes in the gym or at home can be seen after 3-6 months. from the beginning of sports.
The longer the duration of the exercises aimed at developing the gluteus maximus muscle, the more visually noticeable is the positive result of training. Exercises that are performed on the gluteus maximus muscle include regular squats with a barbell, kettlebells, lunges, bench press and weight pull on the simulators.
The result of the training process is to achieve the effect of elasticity of the muscles of the back of the thigh, to lose excess body weight, increase endurance, strengthen tendons and ligaments of the lower limb, and pump all the muscle groups of the legs. This part of the body becomes more attractive and physically developed.
Glute Muscle Exercise Video
Effective exercises for the glutes of a woman: