It is believed that after 45 years, eyelid surgery surgically remains the only way to deal with age-related eye changes, but this is not the case. Modern aesthetic medicine may offer alternative methods for solving the problem, but they do not always give the same effect as plastic surgery.
Blepharoplasty is not always performed for medical reasons. There are times when patients resort to the help of surgeons to correct genetically embedded individual characteristics, for example, an eye incision. Surgical eyelid lifting is very popular in the countries of the Asian, because this is the only opportunity to gain a more open and clear look.
- Advantages and disadvantages of methods
- Types of Operating Methods
- Lower eyelid lift
- Upper eyelid surgery
- Circular pull
- Transconjunctival blepharoplasty
- Laser blepharoplasty
- Non-surgical methods
- Hardware correction
- Injection blepharoplasty
- Manual eyelid correction
- How long will the result last
- Possible complications
- Surgical eyelid lift video
Advantages and disadvantages of methods
Eyelid lift surgery has an ancient history. The removal of skin bags and excess fat from the lower eyelid was practiced in India 400 years before our era. Initially, blepharoplasty was performed solely for medical reasons and only recently have it been resorted to for aesthetic purposes.
The essence of contour blepharoplasty is to remove excess fatty tissue and excess skin. There are 2 main types of eyelid lift: surgical and non-surgical. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages and disadvantages of operating and non-surgical eyelid lift:
|Type of bluffing||Method of conducting||Advantages||disadvantages|
|Non-operational||Hardware (laser, electromagnetic, ultrasonic and plasma correction)||
||Allows you to adjust only minor age-related changes or defects. Recommended for women under 50 years old.|
|Injection (injections of multivitamins, fillers from hyaluronic acid and a cocktail of fatty acids, enzymes and plant extracts)|
|Manual (massage according to the author’s technique Kaybyrova L.K.)|
|Operating||Blepharoplasty of the upper and lower eyelids||The ability to correct severe defects that cannot be corrected by non-surgical methods.||
It should be understood that no blepharoplasty method can help correct skin pigmentation and get rid of bruises associated with impaired functioning of the cardiovascular system and kidneys, as well as lack of sleep, stress and oxygen starvation. Also, surgical correction is not used to remove fine facial wrinkles.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Cannula – what it is, as it is used in cosmetology and medicine.
Surgical eyelid lift is recommended in the following cases:
- eyelid deformity (congenital or acquired);
- a large number of age-related wrinkles under the eyes;
- hernias, swelling, bags, giving the look a gloom, and the face – an unhealthy look;
- deterioration in viewing quality due to overhang of the skin over the eyelash growth line;
- displacement of the corners of the eyes;
- desire to correct genetically cut eye section.
Specialists in plastic surgery are asked for help not only according to a medical prescription, but also to correct aesthetic deficiencies that affect a person’s self-esteem and interfere with self-realization.
Belfaroplasty, which is performed through surgery, requires careful preparation and has a number of contraindications.
Admission to the procedure is carried out only after receiving a medical report, which includes the following data:
- general information about the patient’s condition;
- oculist examination results;
- biochemical blood test and urinalysis;
- conclusions of specialized specialists on the patient’s diseases.
If puffiness and pigmentation of the skin under the eyes are caused by kidney dysfunction, renal failure, or thyroid dysfunction, a eyelid lift surgery will not provide the desired result.
Contraindications for surgery may be temporary or considered absolute. If in the first case blepharoplasty can be performed after the elimination of clinical problems, then in the second case, surgical intervention will be absolutely excluded.
Temporary contraindications include:
- pregnancy, lactation;
- inflammatory processes in the body;
- the period of menstruation in women;
- inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye and soft tissues of the eyelid;
- increased intracranial pressure.
Absolute contraindications include:
- serious pathologies in the work of internal organs and systems;
- impaired functioning of the endocrine system;
- hematologic diseases;
- the presence of malignant neoplasms of any location;
- heart, liver, or kidney failure.
A complete list of contraindications depends on the nature of the surgery.
Types of Operating Methods
Surgical eyelid lift is performed using several methods, the choice of which depends on the purpose of correction. As a result of the procedure, redistribution of fatty fibers, removal of excess skin and fatty tissue occurs. The look becomes more open, and the face looks younger.
Lower eyelid lift
It is made exclusively for aesthetic purposes to remove bags that give the eyes a tired and painful look. Incisions are made near the eyelash growth line or from the side of the mucous membrane of the eyelid so that the scars are not noticeable.
Upper eyelid surgery
It is produced mainly according to a medical pres
cription to improve the quality of vision, which sagging skin adversely affects. The incision is made along the lines of the natural fold of the eyelid, the extra skin is excised and the hernia is removed.
Before the procedure, the eyelids are punctured with a special solution with the addition of anesthetic and adrenaline.
After the operation, hemostasis and intradermal tissue stitching with non-absorbable suture are performed. Sutures are removed after 5 days, and bruises and swelling disappear no earlier than after 10 days. After complete healing, the scar becomes almost invisible.
A cardinal method for correcting defects of the upper and lower eyelids in order to obtain maximum results. Incisions are made on the natural fold of the upper and lower eyelids or under the eyelash growth area. During the operation, excess fat and skin are removed.
The remaining fat deposits are evenly redistributed, and tightened tissues are fixed in a new position, and the incisions are sutured with self-absorbable sutures. A sterile dressing and a fixing patch are applied to the eyelids. After the operation, the patient is in the hospital under the supervision of doctors from 1 to 3 days.
The procedure is recommended in case of weakening of the tissues, eversion or sagging of the lower eyelid. As a result of the operation, the doctor changes the position of the corners of the eyes, affecting only the outer layers of the skin. Tendons are separated from the cartilage, tightened and fixed at the right level.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Vera Alentova after plastic surgery – the last photos, what operations were carried out, how the star changed.
This is a seamless procedure in which access to the correction zone occurs through the conjunctiva of the eyelid. Transconjunctival plastic surgery is the most effective and gentle method for adjusting age-related changes, however, its effectiveness directly depends on the patient’s age.
This eyelid lift is not recommended for women over 45 years of age.
Surgical eyelid surgery using a laser has several advantages. A carbon dioxide laser beam instantly seals blood vessels, which significantly reduces the risk of increased blood loss, the development of edema, the formation of bruises and bruises.
Rehabilitation after laser correction takes much less time, but burns cannot be ruled out. Preparation for surgery is not only a complete study of the body.
In the preoperative period, the following rules must be observed:
- increase fluid intake to speed up the rehabilitation process;
- at least 2 weeks before the procedure, stop smoking and drinking alcohol, as well as visiting places with high temperature (beach, sauna, solarium);
- for 3 weeks, it is necessary to exclude the use of anti-inflammatory drugs that cause blood thinning in order to reduce the risk of bleeding;
- a few days before blepharoplasty, exclude salted, smoked and spicy foods from the daily diet so as not to provoke additional edema;
- the last meal should take place at least 8 hours before surgery.
In order to avoid household problems that may arise in the postoperative period, it is recommended to arrange with relatives or friends to ensure proper care during rehabilitation.
Non-surgical blepharoplasty is of 3 types: hardware, injection and manual.
The results of hardware eyelid lift and eye contour correction are noticeable after the first procedure. All non-surgical hardware blepharoplasty methods are based on thermal exposure to various tissue layers in the temperature range from 104 – 302°F.
The result of the procedure depends on the skin warming temperature:
- at 107,6 – 113°F, the destruction of protein fibers begins, resulting in a change in their structure. They are reduced, twisted and compacted, due to which the formation of a kind of supporting frame that smooths the skin folds occurs;
- at 122 – 158°F, the process of reproduction of new collagen molecules in place of those that were destroyed is stimulated;
- at 59 – 32°F, the surface layers of the skin exposed to high temperatures are separated, with their further replacement with newly regenerated structures.
The result of hardware thermolifting is updated and toned skin.
There are several methods for hardware eyelid lift:
- laser: skin heating is carried out using a concentrated light beam;
- electromagnetic: tissues warm up due to the passage of different-frequency electromagnetic radiation;
- ultrasound: high-frequency sound waves affect the skin;
- Plasma: heating is achieved through a strictly oriented flow of ionized air particles.
The higher the heating temperature and the deeper the effect, the more noticeable the result. When choosing a hardware correction technique, it is necessary to proceed from the degree of age-related changes. If, to correct the initial manifestations of skin aging in the periorbital, it is enough to heat the tissue to 39,2 – 41°F, then for a serious anti-aging effect, this temperature will not be enough.
Hardware correction of the eyelids is an unpleasant and often painful procedure, so local anesthesia is used to carry it out.
It is carried out by introducing special substances into the correction zones, which are assigned the following functions:
- skin nutrition;
- stimulation of cell metabolism;
- activation of tissue regeneration;
- strengthening the walls of blood vessels;
- improving tissue oxygen supply.
The choice of drugs for injection depends on the nature of the problem, for example:
- multivitamins will help to successfully cope with puffiness and swelling of the eyelids;
- smoothing age wrinkles, as well as correcting the contour of the eyes, will allow fillers with hyaluronic acid;
- In order to reduce the fat content on the eyelids, injectable lipolysis formulatio
ns are administered.
Injection eyelid lift is a very unpleasant and painful procedure, so it is carried out under local anesthesia. The course includes from 3 to 8 procedures. The most popular are Korean drugs, which are based on biometric peptides.
These unique substances stimulate the production of your own collagen, promote the breakdown of fatty tissue and lighten the skin under the eyes.
The course of hyaluronic fillers has a reversible effect. This means that if for some reason the patient is unsatisfied with the result, the master will introduce a hyaluron-cleaving enzyme into the correction zone, and after 24 hours the eyes will look the same as before the injection blepharoplasty.
One of the options for lifting the eyelids is 3D volumization, or microneedle RF lifting. This is a kind of symbiosis of hardware and injection eyelid correction. During the procedure, microneedles are introduced under the skin through which electromagnetic pulses of the radio frequency range are transmitted.
Thus, soft tissue heating occurs, which does not entail burn injuries to the skin surface. Positive changes are noticeable after the first procedure, but to achieve maximum results, experts recommend taking a course of 2-5 sessions.
Non-surgical blepharoplasty is carried out in several stages:
- Cleaning the skin of makeup and the remnants of cosmetics;
- The application of an anesthetic drug that reduces the risks of discomfort;
- The overlay of protective lenses on the eyeball (performed during hardware blepharoplasty).
- Marking in the correction zone. (practiced with injection eyelid lift).
- Application of an antiseptic to the treated areas of the skin. It is carried out only after injection or hardware blepharoplasty.
Despite the fact that the injection of eyelids does not produce such a lasting effect as a hardware one, and requires supportive courses of procedures, she has many supporters. It is especially popular among women aged 40 to 50 years.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
How and why the ribs are removed – efficiency, photo before and after the operation.
Manual eyelid correction
The author’s technique of Kaybyrova Larisa Konstantinovna is a symbiosis of osteopathy, aromatherapy and manual therapy. During the procedure, the specialist produces a massage effect on the muscles of the periorbital, the result of which is the following effects.
- muscle relaxation;
- muscle stimulation of the active eyelid;
- reduction in sagging skin;
- increased lymph circulation, swelling is relieved;
- synthesis of own collagen is activated;
- wrinkles are reduced.
The session is carried out using natural oils that nourish the skin with phytoestrogens. This method is absolutely painless, but to see the result, you need to go through several courses that are repeated with a certain frequency.
How long will the result last
Surgical eyelid lift, as well as non-surgical blepharoplasty, are quite expensive and not the most pleasant procedures. In many forums, the question is often asked how long the effect of the procedure lasts. Since blepharoplasty is an operation that results in the removal of excess skin of the eyelids, the effect of it can be considered lifelong.
However, it does not affect the natural processes of skin aging in any way and over time its result becomes less noticeable. Experts do not recommend a facelift more often than once every 10-12 years. Most methods of surgical rejuvenation involves the formation of scars (both external and internal). Only a specialist can give permission for a second operation.
The duration of the effect of non-surgical correction depends on the type of procedure:
- injection – from 1 year to 2.5 years;
- laser – from 3 to 7 years;
- ultrasound – 7 years;
- thermal lifting – 4 years.
You can extend the effect of the procedures with the help of high-quality skin care of the periorbital area.
After any surgery, complications are possible.
Despite the apparent simplicity, blepharoplasty has an impressive list of possible side effects and consequences:
- long-term edema;
- hemorrhage in the upper eyelid, provoking the appearance of hematomas;
- eversion of the lower eyelid caused by the removal of too much tissue;
- increased lacrimation, which often occurs after transconjunctival blepharoplasty;
- infection, causing inflammation and pain, in advanced cases, can lead to a dissection of the suture;
- discrepancy of seams;
- a split in the eyes, which is a consequence of an injury to the eye muscle during surgery.
In addition to the negative consequences that are noticeable at the very beginning of the rehabilitation period, there are late complications that appear in the period from 3-4 weeks to 3-4 months after surgery.
- pathological overhang of the upper eyelid over the eye caused by damage to muscle fibers and ligaments;
- incomplete closure of the eyelids, which is a consequence of excessive removal of the skin, with this complication, the process of natural hydration of the cornea is disrupted, which can lead to loss of vision;
- hyperpigmentation – the appearance of bright dark spots on the eyelids and under the eyes, which are the result of the resorption of extensive hemorrhages;
- the formation of coarse scar tissue, which can occur due to individual characteristics of the body or errors during suturing;
- violation of the symmetry of the eyes, which may be caused by improper suturing or increased congenital asymmetry, ignored by the surgeon.
As a rule, most complications are the result of a specialist error. It is possible to reduce the risk of negative consequences after eyelid surgery surgically only if you choose the clinic responsibly. Quality services of certified specialists are not cheap, but this will help to avoid complications.
Surgical eyelid lift video
Blepharoplasty – lifting the upper eyelid, how to do: