Doctors say that overweight is a serious medical problem for mankind, but there is an opposite problem that people also face, regardless of age and gender – this is a lack of body weight . Lack of weight harms the body as much as the presence of extra pounds.
You can’t ignore the symptoms of weight loss, and it is important to know how to properly increase it in specific cases – to gain weight without harm to health. At the same time, the principles of gaining fat and muscle mass are mostly the same.
- Weight norms by age and gender. How to determine if the weight is normal
- Causes of Underweight
- Dietary rules for underweight
- Fat Gain Products
- Muscle Gain Products
- Weight Gain Products
- Protein Shakes
- Brewer’s yeast
- Weight gain with baby food, water, gainer, hormones and vitamins
- Baby food
- An integrated approach to weight gain in men
- An integrated approach to weight gain in women
- Normalization of lifestyle, wakefulness and sleep
- Useful video on how to gain weight quickly and efficiently
Weight norms by age and gender. How to determine if the weight is normal
The table below shows standardized indicators that indicate what should be the weight of a person of a certain age and height.
Also, ideal weight can be calculated using the BMI (body mass index) formula. BMI is an indicator obtained by dividing a person’s weight by squared height. If a girl weighs 119 pounds. with an increase of 5’6 foot ( 5’6 foot.), this figure will be 18.69.
Interpretation of the obtained indicator:
- A BMI below 18.5 indicates weight deficiency;
- BMI is ideal between 18.5 and 25;
- a person with a BMI between 25 and 30 is overweight;
- A BMI of more than 30 indicates obesity.
But body mass index is a simplified method that does not take into account such indicators as: waist, chest and hips; ratio of muscle and fat mass; bone density.
A person with severe osteoporosis (which decreases bone density) may have a BMI lower than a healthy person of the same height. But at the same time, a patient with osteoporosis will have a larger waist volume, more fat mass in the body and weak bones. When calculating the body mass index, one should take into account the individual characteristics of the body, age and health status.
Causes of Underweight
Most people who want to gain weight do not experience health problems. Most often, this desire is associated with fitness, pumping body muscles. But there are those whose body mass is clearly below normal for no apparent reason. It is important to understand that weight loss is a common symptom of many diseases.
Diseases and factors, the symptom of which is a person’s lack of weight:
- Hyperthyroidism A condition in which the amount of thyroxine produced increases as a result of malfunctioning of the thyroid gland is called hyperthyroidism. The metabolism of a person is disturbed, he loses weight. It is accompanied by an increase in the thyroid gland, nervousness, fatigue. The treatment of hyperthyroidism includes the use of antithyroid drugs (inhibit the production of thyroxine), radioiodine therapy (the destruction of hormone-producing cells) and surgical intervention (partial or complete removal of the thyroid gland).
- Decreased appetite. Poor appetite often occurs due to any disturbance. If a person is confident in the absence of health problems, then you should pay attention to lifestyle and diet. An erratic daily routine, a sedentary lifestyle, a lack of fresh air and improper nutrition are reflected in the appetite. Improving appetite occurs when adjusting lifestyle and nutrition.
- Anorexia. Anorexia is an eating disorder based on psychological problems. Traditionally considered a female disease, although men are also susceptible to it. It is characterized by a refusal of food, depression, painful fixation on the number of calories. Anorexia requires a comprehensive treatment: medication, normalization of diet, psychotherapy. Without proper treatment, anorexia can be fatal.
- Type 1 diabetes. Glucose is the main source of energy for the body. Its level is regulated by insulin, which is produced by the pancreas. In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas does not synthesize insulin in sufficient quantities. Insulin is not able to deliver glucose to the muscles, so it accumulates in the blood. When the glucose level becomes too high, the kidneys begin to force it out with urine. Weight loss is due to dehydration and loss of calories from glucose, which is not converted into energy. Treatment for diabetes comes down to insulin injections and constant monitoring of glucose levels.
- Stress. In stressful situations, many people lose their appetite until it is lost. Weight loss is due to nutritional deficiencies. If the wrong diet is maintained, metabolic disturbance occurs, which exacerbates weight deficiency. In such cases, the process of weight gain begins with the elimination of stress.
- Bad habits . The following bad habits lead to weight deficiency, elimination of which will lead to normalization of body weight: smoking, alcohol and other addictions; lack of physical activity, which contributes to the loss of muscle mass; abuse of diets; sleep disturbance.
- Digestion and absorption of nutrients. A lack of weight is present in a number of digestive disorders: Crohn’s disease, colitis, pancreatitis. These and similar diseases are characterized by malabsorption of nutrients. Not receiving recharge from the outside, the body spends its own reserves. These conditions require compulsory treatment, including a special diet, as they can lead to the death of the patient.
- Oncology. Abrupt weight loss may be due to the presence of oncology. The development of a tumor in a destructive way affects the functionality of the whole organism, which cannot but affect the weight of a person.
- Cirrhosis of the liver. Liver diseases are accompanied by loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting. This leads to dramatic weight loss. Taking medications and a strict diet help to prolong life, but the only way to save a person is a liver transplant.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Laser hair removal on the face and body – how it is performed, effectiveness, photos before and after, contraindications.
Dietary rules for underweight
One of the key roles in the occurrence is malnutrition. It is important to correct the deficit in the right way, and not just go on a rigid diet. The first task is to increase both body fat and muscle mass. Diseases that are associated with obesity occur in many people with normal weight. This is type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular and other problems.
To gain weight without harming the body, you must be guided by the following rules:
- Eat more calories than your body consumes. How to gain weight quickly: more calories must be absorbed into the body than a person spends during the day. Without an excess of calories, it is impossible to achieve rapid weight gain. You can find out your individual calorie intake using a calorie calculator.
- If you need a slow and gradual weight gain, then you need to add 300-500 calories to the daily intake calculated in the calculator. If the goal is to gain weight in a short time, then you will need 700-1000 calories from above.
- More meals. With a lack of weight, a feeling of fullness occurs earlier than in other people. In order to comply with the necessary calorie content, there should be 5-6 small meals instead of 2-3 large servings per day.
- Food rich in nutrients.
The daily food menu should include:
- whole grain products (bread, pasta, cereal without additives);
- fruits and vegetables;
- milk products;
- protein sources;
- nuts and seeds.
- Smoothies and necks. To get extra calories, you do not need to drink sweet soda, coffee or other drinks with a low nutritional value. Instead, smoothies and healthy necks consisting of milk, fresh or frozen berries, flax or chia seeds should be added to the diet. Such meals are a good option for a snack.
- Do not drink before meals. If you drink the liquid before eating, then the appetite is reduced. Drinks should be consumed either after meals, or washed down with food, but in this case it is better to opt for high-calorie options.
- Select the appropriate snacks. If you need to quickly gain weight, then you need to consider even such moments as snacks. Nuts, peanut butter, cheeses, dried fruits and avocados are suitable. Need to take the habit of snacking before bedtime.
Fat Gain Products
Combining high-fat and high-carb foods can help you gain weight quickly. You need to eat carbohydrates with fats, because the body uses both fats and carbohydrates to produce energy, but cannot do it at the same time. By default, he uses carbohydrates first, but in their absence, goes to the absorption of fats.
Sources of carbohydrates are whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes. Proper fats can be obtained from nuts, avocados, vegetable oils, nut pastes, fish, and seeds. For example, any nut paste (peanut, almond, etc.) on a piece of bread, pita with hummus or guacamole, a vegetable mixture cooked in olive oil.
Processed cereals, cookies, crackers or chips, instant food, sweets will be a poor choice of carbohydrates.
“Bad” fats are found in margarine, corn, or any hydrogenated oil. Fruits or vegetables should make up half of the serving, a quarter should be the source of protein, another fourth should be cereals, and a glass of dairy product. Since carbohydrates and fats are the main sources of energy for the body, they must be consumed in the morning.
It is more difficult for men to gain fat mass than women. The testosterone present in the male body is aimed at burning fat. The estrogen predominant in the female body contributes to the opposite effect – the rapid accumulation and slow burning of fat. Therefore, with the same diet for weight gain, the end result for men and women is different.
Muscle Gain Products
Protein is a nutrient that serves as a building material for muscles. If you do not use it, then an excess of calories runs the risk of being on your sides. Excess calories obtained from high-protein foods, for the most part, turn into muscle mass.
When gaining weight, you should try to use about 1.5 – 2.2 g of protein per 2 pounds. weight. This indicator can be exceeded depending on the number of calories needed.
Protein-rich foods include:
- milk products;
The protein consists of amino acids, among which the most important in terms of increasing muscle mass is leucine. In order for food to promote muscle growth, one serving should contain 2-3 g of leucine.
One serving of meat (provided that the serving is an amount equal in size to the palm of a person) contains at least 2 grams of leucine. Three eggs, two glasses ( 8,12 fluid ounce.) Of milk, a piece of fish or a glass of yogurt hold 1.5 g. A glass of cottage cheese contains about 3 g of leucine.
Among plant foods, soybean contains the most amino acids – about 2.3 g in one glass. Next come the beans and lentils – from 1.2 to 1.4 g, respectively. A quarter of a glass of nuts or flax seeds contains 0.5 g.
The process of gaining muscle mass in men and women is different. The body of a man produces at least 10 times more testosterone, which naturally contributes to the growth of muscle tissue. That is, a woman is much more difficult to gain muscle mass.
Cholesterol and animal fats enhance testosterone production. To speed up muscle gain, a man should have foods such as oysters, broccoli, and beef in his diet.
Weight Gain Products
To quickly gain weight without consuming a large number of calories, you can resort to the use of special additives in the form of a complex of vitamins and minerals. Modern bioadditives contribute to weight gain without harming the body.
A protein shake is an easy way to add not only extra calories to your diet, but also a large amount of high-quality protein. If there are physical exercises in the daily routine, then it is better to take a protein shake 15-60 minutes after their completion. In this case, the protein will be used to restore and build muscle.
On average, one serving of powder contains about 140 calories. For a pronounced effect during weight gain, it is recommended to breed a protein shake with milk with a fat content of at least 2%. A glass of such milk contains approximately 122 calories. Thus, in one dose, about 262 calories enter the body.
You can increase the number of calories with the help of various additives: berries, bananas, nut pastes.
Due to the abundance of calories and protein, it is usually not recommended to abuse protein shakes, but if the task is to quickly gain weight, then you can drink a shake twice a day.
Brewer’s yeast is a fungal organism used in brewing. They contain B vitamins, chromium, selenium, and serve as a good source of nutrients for building muscle and maintaining health.
Although brewer’s yeast itself does not directly affect muscle growth, they help the body digest and absorb proteins, fats and carbohydrates,
thereby increasing energy levels.
Brewer’s yeast tastes slightly bitter, although brands currently offer tasteless options. Available in powder, cereal, tablet and liquid form. The daily dose for an adult is 1-2 tablespoons of powder.
Among the effects of taking carnitine are noted such as promoting rapid weight gain. It directly and indirectly affects the growth of muscle mass. By enhancing blood flow to the muscles, it improves their work through saturation with useful substances.
In men, carnitine helps increase testosterone levels. It increases the number of testosterone receptors in the muscles, which leads to their intensive growth.
Carnitine also improves endurance, which has a positive effect on the duration of physical training. The substance transports fatty acids to the muscles, which serve as fuel for them. Carnitine reduces the amount of lactic acid produced, which inhibits muscle activity. This means a more intense level of training and a shorter recovery period.
For maximum effectiveness, carnitine should be taken before training, combining with the intake of fast-acting carbohydrates (60 g of dextrose or maltodextrin). If there are no workouts, then carnitine is taken during the day. The standard dose varies from 500 to 2000 mg.
Weight gain with baby food, water, gainer, hormones and vitamins
Among a large number of products and preparations for weight gain, the following are popular.
If there is a need for quick weight gain in a short time, then supplements such as gainers will help to achieve the goal. Like protein shakes, weight gainers are a protein-rich dietary supplement that improves muscle growth.
There is a difference between them: protein shakes contain large doses of protein, but they are low in carbohydrates and fats. Weight gainers have balanced proportions of macronutrients. For example, one serving of an average gainer contains about 240 calories, which is 12 grams of fat, 21 grams of carbohydrates and 10 grams of protein.
The number and time of gaining a gainer directly depends on the diet and lifestyle (presence or absence of training). Since the gainers differ in composition, the manufacturer always indicates on the label recommendations for admission.
Baby food is used to improve the growth rate and weight gain of the child, so it contains many vitamins, macro- and micronutrients, proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Baby food is classified as healthy and proper food, its use is not accompanied by problems. It can be used as a snack several times a day.
Increasing the amount of water consumed to 0,8 gallon per day will help to gain weight for a short time. A parallel increase in the amount of salt in food contributes to the retention of water in the body for a longer period. In this case, there should be no health problems, since water retention can increase pressure and provoke the appearance of edema.
For weight gain, hormonal drugs can be used:
- Contraceptive oral contraceptives often lead to rapid and uncontrolled weight gain. This is explained by the permanent intake of synthetic sex hormones in the body, which are responsible for increasing fat mass. Among the popular drugs can be called Duphaston, Yarina.
- Dexamethasone and prednisone cause weight gain as a side effect. They are used for a number of diseases, including the treatment of anorexia.
- Growth hormone is used as an injection to gain muscle mass, or growth hormone. It is used in the complex therapy of growth hormone deficiency in adults and children, in the treatment of nervous disorders, to prevent weight loss in AIDS patients.
Vitamins such as:
- Vitamin A stimulates the production of protein, which contributes to muscle growth. Supports the production of glycogen, which increases the stamina of the body;
- thiamine, or vitamin B1, improves appetite and stamina, affects muscle growth;
- Vitamin B6 is another vitamin that improves appetite. Helps to absorb carbohydrates, thereby increasing energy levels;
- if weight loss is provoked by constant stress, then vitamin C will help. It inhibits the production of stress hormone, strengthens the immune system;
- Vitamin D improves testosterone production, which directly affects muscle growth.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
An integrated approach to weight gain in men
Men gain weight by consuming more calories than their body burns during the day. But you need to get calories from the right food, as junk food does the same damage to everyone, regardless of the weight of the person. Even if the task is to quickly gain weight, you do not need to resort to the help of dubious products. Also, do not forget about the lifestyle.
The effect occurs when the problem is solved in a complex way. Proper nutrition with a focus on proteins in combination with power loads give a lasting effect in the form of muscle growth.
In this case, it is necessary to pay attention to the largest muscle groups:
- back muscles
- triceps and biceps;
- muscles of the back of the thigh;
- abdominal muscles.
If a person is concerned about abnormal thinness, then this may be a symptom of a violation in the body. In this case, weight gain should be carried out under medical supervision in the presence of drug therapy of the main diagnosis.
An integrated approach to weight gain in women
Before embarking on a weight gain program, a woman first needs to consult with her doctor about this problem. In the presence of hidden diseases, self-activity will not only not help to cope with the deficit, but can also exacerbate the problem.
If weight loss is caused by health problems, then this symptom can be corrected only when prescribing medications.
If a woman has received confirmation of her absence of diseases and disorders, then it is necessary to compose a combined system of proper nutrition and strength training. When building an individual nutrit
ion system, it is necessary to take into account that the body of women, in contrast to men, is inclined to accumulate fat mass faster.
At the same time, it is not necessary to absorb food in large quantities – sports nutrition and nutritional supplements contain the necessary nutrients that can be obtained by drinking one or more glasses of a cocktail per day.
A set of exercises should take into account the differences between the female and male bodies. If men’s training is more often focused on building muscle in the upper body, then a woman needs to choose a more balanced system in which there will be a sufficient number of strength exercises on her legs.
Women are able to train longer because of good endurance, so the number of repetitions within one approach will be more.
Normalization of lifestyle, wakefulness and sleep
Fat and muscle mass of the body is actively added during rest, so for a quick weight gain you need a good sleep. Lack of sleep over time leads to an increase in cortisol levels. Cortisol is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands that is often called the stress hormone.
This substance destroys muscles, as a result of which their mass is reduced. Accordingly, body weight is also reduced.
Compliance with the daily regimen contributes to rapid weight gain. To do this, you need to wake up and go to bed at the same time, as well as adhere to the diet. This is important when a person has reduced appetite. Giving the body food strictly on schedule, over time, the appetite itself will awaken at the right time.
Achieving fast weight gain is possible with qualities such as perseverance and perseverance. Due to the fast metabolism, weight gain can be complicated, but with strict observance of the correct diet, in combination with regular physical activity, the result will come sooner or later.
Useful video on how to gain weight quickly and efficiently
Useful tips on how to properly gain weight at home:
How to quickly gain weight and get rid of thinness: